By Sharilyn Kortum
The Lord provided a beautiful day for competitors and spectators alike during the ninth annual Terry Ranch Rodeo held in conjunction with the Prairie County Fair on Sunday, Aug, 9.
With mild temperatures, partly overcast skies, and a couple quick showers to settle the mud,fans were able to enjoy the day in comfort.
The roster was full, as 12 teams from surrounding areas traveled to town for the competition.
Teams and their home towns were:
1. Miles City Livestock - Miles City: Todd LaRowe, Brent Morrison, Lisa Morrison, Gary Anderson, & Taylor Beardsley.
2. Bull Mountain Ranch - Custer: Toby Abel, Dave Able, Justin Myhre, Todd Wilson, & Gina Moore.
3. BB&H - Miles City: Dan Bird, John Henry Beardsley, Tyler Rhodes, Grant Azevedo, & Paige Beardsley.
4. Northfork Buffalo Ranch- Glendive: Zane Dempewolf, Luke McDonald, Justin Hoffman, Justin Lawrence, & Kelcie Lawrence.
5. United Country Reality - Wibaux: Cody Ferguson, Charlie Ferguson, Clint Bainter, Jeremy Tahista, & Maggie Nemitz.
6. Lost In Time Ranch - Wibaux: Robin Smith, Lucas Smith, Jared Hagood, Jim Hagood, & Logan Eayrs.
7. Nemitz Ranch - Terry: Joe Nemitz, Nate Nemitz, Mike Nemitz, Tim Kortum, & Sharilyn Kortum.
8. Glendive Livestock - Glendive: Amanda Sportsman, Larry Evans, Bill Blankenship, Alan Doane, and Gary Ingraham.
9. Cowpokes- Terry: Pat O‚Neill, Dan Harrington, Tom Strub, Scott Nelson, & Kacie Thoeny.
10. Dawson County Vet Clinic -Glendive: Wes Kirkaldie, Torrie Kirkaldie, Don Evans, Jim Streigel, & Alf Idland.
11. Incognito Clan- Terry: Lorin Larsen, Kerry Erickson, DJ Martin, Jess Drange, & Shanya Larsen.
12. X Plus Horses- Jordan: Clint Potts, DaLauna Potts, Jay Phipps, Jason Phipps, & Joley Kerrick.
Taking first this year and receiving belt buckles donated by Terry and Eileen Nielsen, Mark and Brenda Dolatta, Sherm and Sharon Fluss, Dan Harrington, and Meidinger and Son Trucking, was the Northfork Buffalo Ranch out of Glendive. In addition to the buckles, the team received $875. Placing second and receiving breast collars donated by the TerryRoping Club and $525 was Glendive Livestock. And finally, placing third and receiving $350 was United Country Reality from Wibaux. Scott Nelson of the Cowpokes team was the hard luck award winner, garnering a pair of spur straps.
Steve Scheitlin, lucky Calcutta winner in the average, walked away with winnings of $1095 for buying the first place team of the Northfork Buffalo Ranch. Purchasing the second and third place teams in the average, Jerry Smalis, Doug Singleton, and Sherm Fluss, split a total of $1095.
Placing first through third in each event respectively are the following teams:
Team Penning- Cowpokes, United County Reality, Nemitz Ranch.
Team Branding - Northfork Buffalo Ranch, Cowpokes, United County Reality.
Double Mugging - Miles City Livestock, Dawson County Vet Clinic, Glendive Livestock.
Team Doctoring - Miles City Livestock, Glendive Livestock, Northfork Buffalo Ranch. Trailer Race- X Plus Horses, Northfork Buffalo Ranch, Cowpokes.
Two events were auctioned off in the Calcutta. Winning the team penning Calcutta for buying Cowpokes was Singleton/Smalis/Fluss ($493). Second place was Jim Baisch as he purchased United Country Reality ($296), and third place belonged to Advanced Well Services for purchasing Nemitz Ranch ($197).
In the trailer race event Calcutta, Wayne Morford was the lucky man of the hour as he received $718 for purchasing the first place team, X Plus Horses. Singleton/Fluss/Smalis received $431 after purchasing the number two team Northfork Buffalo Ranch. Winning $287 after buying the third place team was J&S Feeds.