Morris Stanley Nelson, 84

By Tribune - Posted on 04 March 2009

Morris Stanley Nelson, of Terry and formerly of Plentywood, died Feb. 27, 2009 in the Prairie Community Health Center. Funeral services will be held at the First Congregational Church in Plentywood at 2 
p.m. on Friday, March 6, 2009.
Morris was born on Aug. 16, 1924 to his parents Martin S. and Nora Bernau Nelson in the home where he was raised, on First Avenue West  in Plentywood, Mont. Morris attended school in Plentywood, graduating from high school in 1942. He enrolled at Montana State University in Bozeman, returning later to work with his father on the farm his father homesteaded in 1912.
In 1946, Morris married Mary Lou Matkin and to that union two  daughters were born - Mary Ann and Jo Arlene. Morris worked hard and  played hard. 
Each goose season, Morris  spent opening day with his daughter Jo Arlene in a goose pit, whether it was in the Medicine Lake area or in Terry.
He worked for Williston-Scobey Transfer, bringing cement from Regina,  Canada to the company's customers in Montana and North Dakota. 
In  1962, he went to Dallas, Texas where he completed  an intensive  course in radio broadcast engineering. He completed F.C.C. testing  for his First Class Radiotelephone operator's license, then with the  Krebsbachs in Sidney and Williston, Morris and  Mary Lou opened the first commercial FM radio station in Montana, KPWD-FM in Plentywood. 
That radio station is still on the air, although the call letters are 
KATQ FM and AM. The Nelsons ran the radio station until 1968 when it  was sold and they bought The Vogue, a women's specialty shop in Plentywood. During the 16 years the Nelsons owned The Vogue, Morris continued farming, although he was also involved in the store, going to market with his wife and employees. They sold The Vogue in 1984.
In 1985 they discovered Sedona. Ariz., and started wintering there. In 2002, the Nelsons moved home to stay year round. They had sold  their farmland many years before, but they continued to live in the farmstead until 2002 when they moved into Plentywood. In November of 2003, when the symptoms of Parkinson's Disease become too much, Morris was admitted into the Sheridan Memorial Nursing Home. 
Following Mary Lou's death in 2006, Morris was moved to the Prairie Community Health Center in Terry, to be near his daughter, Jo Arlene.
Morris was preceded in death by his parents, his wife of 59 years, Mary Lou, and a great granddaughter Amalia Bottman. He is survived by his daughters, Mary Ann and John Bottman of Billings, and Jo Arlene and Jim Ausk of Terry; his four grandchildren Andy Bottman and Jenni  of Portland, Ore., Tim Bottman and Tereza of Prague, Czech Republic, Jamie Ausk Crisafulli and Richie of Glendive, and Brandon Ausk and Karlee of Seattle, Wash.; and six great- grandchildren Jonah Bottman; Jameson, Nelson, Basil and Giarratana Crisafulli; and Perrie Ausk. He is also survived by a sister, Phyllis Ennis, of Kalispell; and two nephews Jim and Margaret Joyce of Miles City, and Bob and Sherry Joyce of Kalispell, and their families.

Memorials are suggested to the Plentywood Golf Course or a charity of  one's choice. 



How would you feel about a four-day school week in Terry?: